Tuesday, April 14, 2015

It's been a very good year...

A year and a half ago I packed up my books and kitchen supplies and moved from our home in a suburb of Cleveland, OH to a suburb of Washington, D.C. The Monday after I’d given notice at my job and the same day my husband had started his new job in D.C., I fell down the stairs in our condo and broke the bones in my foot so saying I “packed” and I “moved” is a bit of a stretch, but got here I did. And for the next several months I spent most of my time at the end of the couch in our new apartment where I could watch David walk to and from the Metro stop. In May I had my first outing sans wheelchair, boot, and crutches to George Washington’s Mount Vernon and while I wish I could say there was no stopping me after that, I’d be lying. I’ve been slow to move. And now we’re moving back to Cleveland, and I’m wishing I’d been a bit more adventurous, thinking I haven’t made the best use of my time here.

I didn’t get to Politics & Prose, but I had a lovely time and lunch at Kramerbooks and Afterwords CafĂ© with my sister-in-law. I went to the National Portrait Gallery, but haven’t yet made it to the Smithsonian. I never ever found a good pizza place. I finally made it to NYC – three times, to be exact – but Annapolis and Philadelphia avoided my grasp. I haven’t stood in front of the White House (or as near as one can get), but I have seen it from a distance, and I did get to the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the Jefferson Memorial. Besides Mount Vernon, we also went to Monticello. And I saw the cherry blossoms in full bloom on a perfect day in April. We took trips to Istanbul and Israel, Barcelona, and France. I met some of David’s funny and wonderful friends in Baltimore and Bethesda and made one friend of my own; I just wish it had been sooner.

There were some terrific meals made in this high-rise apartment and fortunately, not too many failures. Spicy Beer Braised Lime Chicken Enchiladas, Kung Pao Brussels Sprouts, Campari Granita, Pomegranate Beef, Cajun-Style Meatloaf, flank steak that set off the smoke alarm and had me waving a tea towel for five minutes, and numerous homemade pizzas (see above). And even more meals planned that never got made.

Since I moved into this apartment, 139 books have been read and several television series have been started and finished. I saw the end of Sons of Anarchy here and still rue the day. We’ve watched Homeland, Prisoners of War, Luther, House of Cards, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The VEEP and several episodes of The Comeback (until I could no longer bear the pain). And we’ve gone to some plays, both here and in NYC.

Reading back on this post, I just realized something. It’s not what I didn’t get done. It’s what I did. And if we hadn’t moved here, none of these adventures would have taken place. Life’s the same way. You try to make the most of what you’re given and you can’t bemoan the fact that you didn’t get done everything you set out to do. If you do, then you’re really stuck. I don’t want to be stuck.


So in a few weeks we move back home. I may have gotten in a couple more field trips and made two or three more memorable meals before then, but I know I’m going on another adventure, I know I’m going to read more books, and I know Cleveland has great pizza. I’m blessed.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if my comment disappeared or it's waiting somewhere....but I loved your post - and I loved the spirit it was written in - and I love you xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jenny. Love you, too. And of course, Andrew! This move is big, as are they all. New horizons.

      Delete
  2. Wishing you every happiness, many new adventures. I love your spirit of adventure,your courageous attitude, your zest for life and love. Sending best wishes and love, keeping writing, keep cooking, keep reading and being the beautiful you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely message! Thank you, my dear friend.

      Delete
  3. What an exciting find! I was unaware that you were a blogger extraordinaire, Laurel! I thoroughly enjoyed today's post in my first scan through, and more so when I re-read it slowly to reflect on your reflective thoughts as they might appear in your countenance at the moment. It felt like you were here...almost. The blogosphere has now become interesting to me, as I know that you will bring your vivacity, intellect and wit together in a truly enticing and enjoyable read.

    Thank you!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete