Tuesday, November 25, 2014

I didn't dumpster dive for the spaghetti.

I think perhaps the second blog post is more difficult to write than the first. I’ve been cooking, baking and reading. I’ve made my first visit to New York City and seen “Wicked,” one of two Broadway plays I desire to see in my life. I did not buy a witch hat. A high school friend has visited and verified to David my rather sweet, if boring, existence during our small town high school years. Thanksgiving is this week and I’ll bake my first duck. But the subject of this blog post is Portland, OR. Or more specifically, Portlandia and the companion cookbook, The Portlandia Cook Book: Cook Like a Local by Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein with Jonathan Krisel.

Have you watched “Portlandia”? If you have any sense of or appreciation for the bizarre, you must. And then, once you’ve seen the show and if you cook, you need to buy the cookbook. It’s a great companion to the series and contains excellent recipes to boot. You’ll find all of your favorite friends here and be able to recreate some of their signature dishes. And if you’re at all like me, the entire time you’re cooking, you’ll be talking to them.

I first made the Tortilla Soup with Chicken. Peter and Nance, I did not get to meet the person who personally knew and raised the chicken(s) I used in the soup, but I did purchase them from Whole Foods, which I hope helps. The chicken’s name was not included on the label, but I will suggest this next time I visit . I’ve never eaten hominy before and I had to look up its definition, but once I found out it was basically corn in another state, and hailing from Iowa, I was convinced it was edible. We loved this soup. It was easy, filling, and soooo good.




Tonight we had Spaghetti and Meatballs, a la Peter and Nance, with whole-wheat spaghetti.  Again, easy, flavorful, and as with the tortilla soup with chicken, I had the satisfying feeling of having made a dinner that was authentic, good for us, and representative of all things good in the food city of Portland, OR. I even was able to use some of my own rosemary from my (sad to say, once again) dying rosemary plant.




The Brussels Sprouts with Bacon recipe is on my Thanksgiving menu and other recipes soon to be tried are Spicy Garlic Pickles, Butterflied Chicken Roasted Over Bread, Babysitter’s Mac and Cheese, Mango Lassi Smoothie, and Nance’s Lavender Shortbread Cookies. Of course, it will all be moot if I try Candace’s Khappu Jiu Jiu Jiu Jiu Tea first. Seriously, if you love the series, you’ll enjoy this cookbook. And if you don’t know about the series, watch it, get your hands on a copy of the book, and then cook. And don’t forget your bag!

This book was courtesy of Blogging for Books.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful review Laurel -- I'm not a Portlandia fan -- so the book did not appeal to me - but you make it appealing!

    ReplyDelete